[vox-tech] using windows pathnames in cygwin

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Tue Jan 31 13:43:21 PST 2006

On Tue 31 Jan 06,  1:37 PM, Micah J. Cowan <micah at cowan.name> said:
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 04:28:15PM -0500, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >
> > In cygwin, I'd like to type "vi /etc/profile" and have gvim come up,
> > editing /etc/profile without necessarily running X.  That means I need
> > to rely on a win32 installation of gvim, rather than the gvim that comes
> > with cygwin.
> >
> > I've installed win32 gvim in C:\Program Files\vim, but when I do:
> >
> >    /cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/Vim/vim64/gvim.exe /etc/profile
> >
> > gvim comes up with:
> >
> >    "Cannot open swap file for \etc\profile", recovery impossible
> >
> > and I find myself editing an empty file.  Eventually, I'd like to make
> > "/usr/bin/vi" an alias for "/cygdrive/c/Program
> > Files/Vim/vim64/gvim.exe".
> >
> > Is there a way to use win32 gvim from within cygwin and have the
> > pathnames work out?
>
> Crap. Probably not. What I'd recommend is writing a wrapper script that
> translates the paths for you. Which might be more work than it's really
> worth.
>
> Myself, I've been using the X version of gvim under cygwin. I hate using
> the DOS-console-running-bash method; I could never get the control
> sequences to work the way I wanted. So, I always have X running with xterm
> anyway; might as well take advantage of it.

i've never really used cygwin before.  how exactly is X supposed to work?

i've run 'startx' just because i didn't know what else to do.  got something
that looked like an xterm and was able to run cygwin's gvim from that.  but
it seems ... very unsatisfying.

is there a way to just let cygwin take over the entire window?

how do you have your cygwin/windows environment set up?  i'd like to emulate
someone's setup who has something comfortable.  don't have the luxury
anymore for massive experimentation like i used to.

pete