[vox-tech] using windows pathnames in cygwin

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Tue Jan 31 13:28:15 PST 2006

In cygwin, I'd like to type "vi /etc/profile" and have gvim come up, editing
/etc/profile without necessarily running X.  That means I need to rely on a
win32 installation of gvim, rather than the gvim that comes with cygwin.

I've installed win32 gvim in C:\Program Files\vim, but when I do:

   /cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/Vim/vim64/gvim.exe /etc/profile

gvim comes up with:

   "Cannot open swap file for \etc\profile", recovery impossible

and I find myself editing an empty file.  Eventually, I'd like to make
"/usr/bin/vi" an alias for "/cygdrive/c/Program Fiels/Vim/vim64/gvim.exe".

Is there a way to use win32 gvim from within cygwin and have the pathnames
work out?

Thanks,
Pete