[vox-tech] gcc easy question

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Jan 30 13:30:18 PST 2006

Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 11:13:25AM -0800, Alex Mandel wrote:
>> I guess what I'm confused about it that I'm running.
>> $./configure
>
> Ah, maybe ask ./configure if there are any "--prefix" options you can set.
> Then, for example, you can "install" it into /home/alex/tmp/ and then
> tar up the contents of that directory.
>
> Of course, I'm not 100% sure what you want your end result to be.
> A package?  (e.g., DEB or RPM)  Simply a .tar.gz that someone can open up
> and run from?
Get this - windows exe built in cygwin.

> Is this your own app, or something you downloaded and are trying to build
> for yourself or someone else?

Someone else, http://www.gdal.org/

It's basically because I need 1 GIS function for a python app I wrote
and I couldn't figure out how to do it with the python lib for the
program, the SWIG bindings were incomplete. So I just hit the pre-built
exe from a command line call in python, but then there was a bug which
was fixed in the cvs specifically for me so I need to build a new copy.

It works I'm just trying to figure out how to drop 40MB of extra fat
when my inital program is only 13 MB, seems like a lot of extra weight.

Thanks,
Alex

"Wish I knew more C" - Anyone recommend a good text, I obviously didn't
learn much from that one CS course I took.