[vox-tech] gcc easy question

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Jan 30 11:13:25 PST 2006

Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> Alex Mandel wrote:
>> So I'm trying to learn how to compile things for distribution and had
>> an  easy question.
>> 1. When I use gcc how do I tell it to output the files to a separate
>> directory so that I have just the libraries and executables I need for
>> distribution.
>
> see the "-o" option for gcc.  Just specify a relative directory name as
> part of the destination filename.

I guess what I'm confused about it that I'm running.
$./configure
$make
I know it uses gcc but I'm not calling it explicitly so I can' seem
where to fit the -o option in.
Should I be using $gcc ?

>> 2. Will it output only what I need or will there be a bunch of
>> intermediate files too that I could skip for the distribution.
>
> While is is possible to compile and link from source to executable
> in one step, it isn't very common for medium to large-scale programs
> because the all-in-one compilation slows the development cycle down.
> For this reason, many makefile authors put in a "clean" virtual target
> to delete temporary files.
>
> You might find reading [1] and [2] helpful... in particular the link to
> "Makefile Conventions" in the latter.
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Make
> [2] http://www.gnu.org/software/make/

As you can see from the above commands, maybe it's not one step. I need
the results of make to end up in a directory on its own. Right now I'm
using a diff program to extract new files that didn't exist in the
source files but this gets me a lot of files, a ton with the .lo
extension and I'm not sure I need these for the one component I need to run.

Alex