[vox-tech] wireless mess

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun Jan 15 22:49:19 PST 2006

So I got brave and started tinkering (1st mistake).
I had this weird quirk where on my dual boot laptop Windows only likes
my Broadcom 4306 based Belkin ( 'New Card' - relatively) and
linux(Ubuntu 5.10) only likes my Netgear Ma401 Prism('Old Card').
I don't like having to carry around 2 cards everytime I travel.

So I installed ndiswrapper from repo and grabbed the drivers the ndis
wiki said to use. Those didn't work - $ndiswrapper -l said invalid
driver, so I looked at similar cards and grabbed a different driver
which it liked.
did a modprobe and got the light to go on.
The problem is that I can't get on my network with the card, I'm using
Network Manager (also from repo) and it sees my neighbors network and I
put my network info in, including WEP key and it just doesn't work even
if it says it connects it never pulls an IP. But thats not the biggest
problem, somehow in my monkeying about my interfaces file and the Ubuntu
network config I messed something else up. When I pop my "old card" back
in I can get on my local network but not past my router to the world. I
think I messed up something to do with the default gateway device or
gateway in general although it should come over DHCP.

Any clues how to get internet on the old card back or get the new card
connected?

Alex