[vox-tech] Apt vs. Compiling

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jan 13 23:45:34 PST 2006

Quoting Robert G. Scofield (scofield at omsoft.com):

> I love K3b, and actually use it to back up my business files in Windows 98
> since I don't like my CD burning EULA in Windows.  But K3b is not yet
> available in Debian testing.  (I use it in SuSE.)

Suggestion:

Step 1.  Create /etc/apt/prefernces as follows:

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 50

Step 2:  Add an "unstable" line to /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib
deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib

Step 3:  Fetch k3b from the "unstable" branch (and any dependencies):

# apt-get update  &&  apt-get  -t unstable  install k3b

Step 4:  Profit!

--
Cheers,
Rick Moen                 "Anger makes dull men witty, but it keeps them poor."