[vox-tech] Replacing FC with Kubuntu in Dual Boot env.

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Tue Jan 10 21:38:54 PST 2006

Richard Crawford wrote:
> I've decided I'm fed up with Fedora, and I'd like to switch over to Kubuntu on
> all my systems.  I've switched to Kubuntu on my desktop workstation, and I'm
> pleased with the results; it feels more stable, and it's nice to use a distro
> that is actually built around KDE instead of just giving grudging support to
> it.
>
> My laptop is currently dual-booted between Windows XP and Fedora Core 3.  I'd
> like to change out that Fedora partition to Kubuntu, but I'm worried about
> GRUB and my MBR.  Will I be safe installing Kubuntu over Fedora Core, or will
> I completely hose my system?

There are many ways to hose a system... but installing a fresh Linux distro
over almost any other OS is pretty straighforward (at least for me).  I
would think you should be getting pretty familiar with it by now, too.

>  My current plan is to simply reformat the FC
> partition with Partition Magic, and install Kubuntu.

Unless you plan to change the sizes of the partitions, why bother with PM?

                                       Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing