[vox-tech] amazon "search in the book" questions

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jan 6 14:14:21 PST 2006

on Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 12:38:02PM -0800, Bill Kendrick (nbs at sonic.net) wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 01:25:22PM -0500, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Consider this URL, which is a page inside a book about Green's functions:
> >
> > http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0521282888/ref=sib_rdr_prev2_ex1/104-6467245-0944703?%5Fencoding=UTF8&p=S00H&ns=1#reader-page
> >
> > When I use the browser (FF) to print the page, the book's contents don't
> > show up on the printed page.  Same thing when I use FF's preview print
> > feature.
> >
> > When I use left click "view image", the book page's contents disappear too.
> > No matter where I click, the page title is "transparent pixel".
>
> I've noticed a similar thing on Flickr.  Some people can make their
> images "un-saveable-to-your-hard-disk", you just end up with a little
> placeholder file.
>
> This seemed to be handled via CSS trickery, though.  (I mean, the image
> is _on_ my screen, and presumably _in_ my cache, so I _already_ have it!)

What would be very interesting would be some sort of 'vgrep' that would
let you find images similar to a known sample.

This way you could, say, screenshot the image, then search your browser
cache for the similar source file, based on edge detection or similar.

Not something I'd use every day, but could be useful on the odd
occasion.  Anyone familiar with the field at all?

Peace.

    Arachnophobia:  actively obstructing search-engine spiders:
    http://zgp.org/pipermail/linux-elitists/2002-January/003898.html