[vox-tech] Linux to Linux printing

Henry House hajhouse at houseag.com
Wed Jan 4 07:44:02 PST 2006

På 2006-01-02, skrev Alex Mandel:
> I've got a mixed Win/Linux network.
> My Server running Samba has a printer hooked up and configured.
> Printing from any of my windows machines works great.
> Printing from another linux machine not so well - I usually get at least
> page one and nothing else, and the worst thing is after I print from
> linux the print server won't print for anyone until I go clear the que
> and then get on my windows machine and send the printer a settings
> change for the sleep time(other commands may work) through an interface
> provided by the manufacturer.
>
> I'm thinking that maybe for *nix to *nix I should maybe use something
> other than samba, but I'm not quite sure how to go about that?
>
> Printer is a Brother 5140D running ppd drivers, All Linux machines are
> Ubuntu 5.10

The traditional way to share printers under Unix and Linux is lpd (the
daemon half of lpr, which together with the lp* utilities for users
constitutes the BSD printing system). I use this at my office because it is
simple to configure (at least for me --- all my printers are postscript
lasers) and does not require lots of support packages like CUPS. If you want
to try this, make sure you install LPRng, not the original BSD-lpd; you will
need to edit the file lpd.perms (see man page) to give the other machine on
your local network permission to submit printjobs.

A neat system that can configure LPRng for you with appropriate filters
(= what most people call "Lunux printer drivers") is Foomatic. There is a
Debian package for it that works extremely well. I use this whenever I want
to configure printing on a new system.

As other responders have pointed out, the New Way to print under Linux is
CUPS. This is probably the best way to go if you are using inexpensive
printers like commodity inkjets, or if CUPS is already installed and you are
happy with the way it works on one of your machines.

--
Henry House
+1 530 753 3361 ext. 13