[vox-tech] Linux to Linux printing

Ken Bloom kbloom at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 23:16:11 PST 2006

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 10:07:58PM -0800, Alex Mandel wrote:
> I've been looking into Cups but I can never figure out the ipp
> connection string.
> Tonight I tried ipp://192.168.1.105:631/printers/HL-5150D
> but that just gave me an unable to connect message.
> I also read that I should get a web interface if I browse to
> http://192.168.1.105:631

Does using http://localhost:631 in a web browser located on the print
server work? If so, do the following

On the print server, look for something that looks like this in
/etc/cups/cupsd.conf

<Location />
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
</Location>

and add this line just before the </Location> line
Allow From 192.168.1.*

=== End Solution ===

Just to help you check that you've got your URLs right, my laptop is
configured to be able to print to 5 different printers through 4
different types of connections. These are the URLs.  Public (routable)
IP addresses have been munged for security.

Two lpd printers in the Computer Science office at IIT (the print
queue on each is named "queue"). I'm not sure what the exact physical
details of their server is as I copied these from another computer in
our lab.
lpd://10.0.1.10/queue
lpd://10.0.1.11/queue

My inkjet printer connected to my tower at home at home, served by
CUPS, named dj932c. (This is the URL that the laptop uses to connect
to it over my apartment lan)
http://192.168.1.50:631/printers/dj932c
(I don't know whether using ipp:// would also work)

An HP LaserJet printer in my research lab, connected directly by
ethernet, using the JetDirect protocol. (There's usually a magic
button combination you can use to get the printer to print out a page
telling you its IP address)
socket://10.0.2.10:9100

A printer connected to my parents' Windows tower. The computer is in
the MSHOME work group, its named 2004COMPUTER, and the share name for
the printer is Printer
smb://MSHOME/2004COMPUTER/Printer

Not all of these are accessible from any one location, because of
firewalls and such. Hope this helps.

--Ken Bloom