[vox-tech] linux, lotus notes, palm os handheld

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 2 20:45:54 PST 2006

I just started a full-time job as a scientist/engineer at a very large
international company.  For networking and personal computers, "everyone
gets the same thing" and "everyone does the same thing".  This means
Dell, Windows, Lotus Notes, and no alternatives.  I didn't even get
admin privs on my laptop until I filed appropriate paperwork!

Anyway, I quickly dual-booted the laptop so that I have a choice between
the corporate windows and Gentoo Linux.  But in order to use Linux on a
day-to-day basis, I must be able to access my email and calender via the
Lotus Notes system.  Also, I am dependent on my PDA (palm os), which I
will need to sync with Lotus Notes or equivalent.  So here are the two
scenarios I can think of:

A)  Install Lotus Notes in Linux via CrossOver Office.  Lotus Notes is
rated "silver", so this should work for the most part.  However, it is
unlikely that communicating with a PDA would ever work with a CrossOver
Office installed application.

B) Use native Linux email/calendering software such as Evolution or
Kontact.  These will sync with PDAs, but how do I access the Lotus Notes
data on my company servers?  Does anyone know if Lotus Notes uses
standard network protocols (pop3, smtp, M$ exchange) or if it is
"proprietary"?

So, I would love to hear suggestions, experiences, etc.  If I can't make
something work, I am afraid I will end up using windows at work 90% of
the time, if not more!

Thanks,
Jonathan