[vox-tech] Re: quick apache question

Richard Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Sun Feb 26 12:35:32 PST 2006

On Sunday 26 February 2006 11:39, Cylar Z wrote:

> ---------------
> Forbidden
>
> You don't have permission to access /~myuser on this
> server.
>
> Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered
> while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the
> request.
> -----------

If I recall, you're using Fedora Core 4, correct?  If so, chances are SELinux
is installed and running (enabled by default).  You could either disable
SELinux, or change the permissions -- the "context", in SELinux-speak -- on
the user's HTML directories to allow the httpd daemon to actually view those
directories.  Try:

[root at server ~]# chcon -R -t httpd_user_content_t /home/user/public_html

...replacing "user" with the user's name, of course.

I fussed with this one for a loooooong time until I finally found the
documentation on Fedora's website.

Personally, I had so many issues with SELinux that I eventually just disabled
it.  I figured it was overkill for my little home network anyway.

Hope that helps.

"That which does not kill me makes me stranger."
    -Llewellyn, from Ozy & Millie