[vox-tech] Defrag of Shared drive

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Fri Feb 24 22:07:52 PST 2006

jim stockford wrote:

> On Feb 24, 2006, at 4:06 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
>
>> Quoting Alex Mandel (tech_dev at wildintellect.com):
>>
>>> ...I would prefer to defrag while in linux as to not
>>> waste my windows time.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions for tools or apps I should use.
>>

>> I've looked for quite a few years, and so far not found one.
 >
> how about something like this:
> given a system with multiple partitions, one
> of which is empty and large enough to store
> whatever is on another partition:
> cd <mount_point_dir_of_data_partition>
> cp -R * <mount_point_dir_of_empty_partition>
> sleep 1
> rm -Rf *
> sleep 1
> cp -R <mount_point_dir_of_empty_partition>/* .
>
> The rationale is that the copy process will copy
> each file one at a time, getting fragments from
> where ever they are and storing them
> contiguously on the empty partition. Remove
> all files then copy them back from the temporary
> partition--the copy process will restore them on
> the original drive in contiguous order.
>
> pot-shots welcome.

Compared to an actual defrag, this operation is
risky.  A power interruption could disrupt the process
at an unpredictable state.  If performed as an incremental
backup (multiple prior savepoints) and restore it could be effective,
though it would be disruptive to file timestamps and
filesystem flags.

                                       Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing