[vox-tech] Defrag of Shared drive

jim stockford jim at well.com
Fri Feb 24 17:29:05 PST 2006

how about something like this:
given a system with multiple partitions, one
of which is empty and large enough to store
whatever is on another partition:
cd <mount_point_dir_of_data_partition>
cp -R * <mount_point_dir_of_empty_partition>
sleep 1
rm -Rf *
sleep 1
cp -R <mount_point_dir_of_empty_partition>/* .

The rationale is that the copy process will copy
each file one at a time, getting fragments from
where ever they are and storing them
contiguously on the empty partition. Remove
all files then copy them back from the temporary
partition--the copy process will restore them on
the original drive in contiguous order.

pot-shots welcome.
jim