[vox-tech] linux and viruses

Daniel A. Lorca-Martinez lorca at pobox.com
Thu Feb 23 23:20:00 PST 2006

Hey Matt,

First off, I can't disagree with the others who say that if this is
something your sysadmin doesn't want to learn about, you'll turn
green in the face before he absorbs anything you tell him.

That being said, there is something else that is standard in *n*x
systems - and that is that (almost) *all* services have to be
enabled, since they are either disabled or not installed by default.
This is not the case necessarily with Windows services.

Having everything off by default also is a significant issue in terms
of security problems.  The other (perhaps more) significant issue
that was mentioned as I was writing this is that services do not run
as root by default in *n*x, which also poses a major problem for all
those Perl/JavaScript cross-platform virus/malware authors out there
since the amount of damage that can be done is greatly reduced.

HTH,
dan