[vox-tech] [fwd] Creating a bootable CD from Linux to reflash your BIOS

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon Feb 20 12:22:12 PST 2006

On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 12:20:50PM -0800, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> Thought I'd pass this along, since it looks so useful!

He also posted a follow up, which I didn't notice 'til later. ;^)

----- Forwarded message from Richard Sharpe <rsharpe [at] richardsharpe .dot. com> -----

Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 10:33:56 -0800 (PST)
From: Richard Sharpe
Subject: Re: [svlug] Creating a bootable CD from Linux to reflash your BIOS

Hi again,

One additional item to make life easier:

Step 6.5. Create a DOS batch file called flash.bat:

cat > /mnt/flash.bat <<EOF
@echo off
if "%1"=="" goto nada

:flash_it
phlash16 /mfg /mode=3 /s /x %1
goto deend

:nada
echo Dude, give me something to work with!

:deend
EOF

Now, the flash utilities depend on the type of MOBO you have and its BIOS.
Mine are specific to Phoenix BIOSes. Also, the flash.bat file is a
cut-down/modified version of one I got from BIOS upgrade ZIP file.

Regards
-------

----- End forwarded message -----

--
-bill!                                    Tux Paint 2006 wall calendar,
bill at newbreedsoftware.com                CDROM, bumper sticker & apparel