[vox-tech] benchmarking (again)

Ken Bloom kbloom at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 13:49:39 PST 2006

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> I'm benchmarking doubles versus floats using C++, C, and java on Cygwin.
>

> Here are the results for the C++ (user time):
>
>             double.cc   float.cc
>    average: 1.546       1.553
>    std dev: 0.050       0.033
>
>    high val 1.596       1.586
>    low val  1.496       1.520

> The timings for Float.java and Double.java are wierd...
>
>    $ time java Float
>    real    0m1.365s
>    user    0m0.015s
>    sys     0m0.061s
>
>    $ time java Double
>    real    0m1.318s
>    user    0m0.015s
>    sys     0m0.015s
>
> What am I to make of the user time here?

I ran these myself with the following results:

[bloom at kartvelian ~]$ time java Double

real	0m3.709s
user	0m3.664s
sys	0m0.012s

[bloom at kartvelian ~]$ time ./double

real	0m0.573s
user	0m0.572s
sys	0m0.000s

I don't know what you're seeing, but it looks odd that your user time
should be so small compared to real time, for this type of processor
bound program. Thus, I don't think this is an optimization problem.

--Ken