[vox-tech] KDE Keyboard Weirdness

Rod Roark rod at sunsetsystems.com
Fri Feb 17 07:48:31 PST 2006

My wife uses Kubuntu 5.10 on a Dell laptop, normally with a USB
keyboard and mouse plugged in for greater comfort.

Yesterday a weird thing happened.  She was typing in an OpenOffice
document and the keyboard stopped responding... i.e. typing had no
visible effect, either on the USB keyboard or the main keyboard.
The mouse still worked normally, and logging in with ssh worked
also.

So I unplugged the extra keyboard and rebooted.  The main keyboard
worked for booting and logging in to KDM, but as soon as KDE started
up it was unresponsive again.  However it was fine if I logged in as
a different user.  So then I renamed ".kde" in her home directory to
something else, and all was working again (though of course quite a
few settings were lost).

Anyone have a clue what could cause this?

-- Rod