[vox-tech] windows support, unfortunately

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 7 20:09:51 PST 2006

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
<snip>
> Thankfully, I have good news to report.  I called IT this morning, and got
> someone MUCH more reasonable.  He thought it was "admirable" that I only use
> open source tools in my day to day job (I don't think I mentioned this, but
> I'm a programming quant for a Wall street firm).  I mentioned what the other
> guy said about FF, and he said the other guy was crazy (I think that's
> "business speak" for "moron").   ;-)
>
> Anyway, he said that developers and programmers are given admin access as a
> matter of policy.  The problem, as we suspected, was my permissions changed.
> He gave me admin access again, and now everything is back to normal.  Dunno
> what caused the change in perms to begin with.  Gremlins perhaps.
>
> Almost everything.  For some reason, Gaim isn't displaying its application
> window, but I don't think that has anything to do the previous problems.  I
> know its running because there's an instance in the task manager, but it
> simply doesn't display its window.  Wierd.  But that's the biggest problem I
> have, so I'm pretty happy right now.  I'm not going to worry about it ATM.
>
> I may go the VMware route anyhow.  Or perhaps I'll just request a Linux
> workstation.  I kinda don't want to ask too many questions for now.  It's
> only my 3rd week.  :)

Great to hear your problems are solved!  I am in nearly the same
position as you: recently hired at a company with very restrictive
computer policies.  I've been pushing the limits even more than you,
though, since I dual-booted my company issued computer with Gentoo
Linux.  So far IT folks have quietly ignored that I have done this, even
when they took my computer to service some software in Windows.  Right
now I mostly work in Windows and am in the process of getting things to
point where I can work mostly in Linux.  Still, I have periods of
paranoia where I envision Windows getting borked and having my laptop
taken away to have its harddrive "re-imaged".  But a little paranoia is
good motivation to be careful and have a good backup strategy.  Hope
things are going well for you with your job.

Jonathan