[vox-tech] using windows pathnames in cygwin

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Wed Feb 1 06:25:29 PST 2006

On Tue 31 Jan 06,  2:03 PM, Foo Lim <foolim at gmail.com> said:
> >On 1/31/06, Peter Jay Salzman <p at dirac.org> wrote:
> >
> >  In cygwin, I'd like to type "vi /etc/profile" and have gvim come up,
> >  editing
> >  /etc/profile without necessarily running X.  That means I need to rely
> >  on a
> >  win32 installation of gvim, rather than the gvim that comes with cygwin.
> >
> >  I've installed win32 gvim in C:\Program Files\vim, but when I do:
> >
> >     /cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/Vim/vim64/gvim.exe /etc/profile
> >
> >  gvim comes up with:
> >
> >     "Cannot open swap file for \etc\profile", recovery impossible
> >
> >  and I find myself editing an empty file.  Eventually, I'd like to make
> >  "/usr/bin/vi" an alias for "/cygdrive/c/Program
> >  Fiels/Vim/vim64/gvim.exe".
> >
> >  Is there a way to use win32 gvim from within cygwin and have the
> >  pathnames
> >  work out?
>
>    Hi Pete,
>
>    When I installed gvim, I also installed the bat files for running from the
>    command line.  It's an option when installing gvim.  It puts batch files
>    in the Windows directory, so you can merely run:
>
>    gvim.bat file
>
>    I have successfully aliased vi to /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/gvim.bat, & it
>    works.
>
>    Foo

Hi Foo,

This is *exactly* what I want, but unfortunately it's not working for me.  I
tried calling the bat file by name:

   $ /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/gvim.bat /cygdrive/c/boot.ini

and got the same result:

   Unable to open swap file for \cygdrive\c\boot.ini

and gvim left me editing an empty file.  I have a new job which leaves me
zilch free time, plus I have a two hour commute each way (ugh!) so I don't
have much time for experimentation these days.  I don't suppose you have a
magic pill for this?  :)

Thanks!
Pete