[vox-tech] strerror deprecated?

Micah Cowan micah at cowan.name
Tue Dec 26 14:58:42 PST 2006

On Tue, 2006-12-26 at 16:46 -0500, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> For the record, strerror_r() isn't implemented in VC++, but it does appear
> to be a drop in replacement for strerror_s().
>
> BTW, when you say that all the error messages are a line long, are you
> speaking pragmatically or from a standards view?  I'm really trying to write
> this "by the books."

He's speaking pragmatically, I believe. The standards place no
restraints on the size of an error string; but as a
quality-of-implementation issue it'd be fairly broken to go beyond
roughly that limit.

I'd feel fairly safe, for instance, in using a 256-char buffer to store
the result in: if it gets truncated to 255 chars, well so be it. :)

--
Micah J. Cowan
http://micah.cowan.name/