[vox-tech] spam greylisting (was: [vox] Posting to the lists)

Rod Roark rod at sunsetsystems.com
Fri Dec 22 09:04:49 PST 2006

On Friday 22 December 2006 08:23, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> I was also thinking of looking into SPF.  I know it's flawed, but I'd like
> to take a look to see if it might work for me anyhow.  Do you know if anyone
> is using it these day?

I do publish and check SPF records, however it's rather limited and
doesn't catch much.  Its main benefit is helping you decide if a
message really did come from whom it claims.  For example here are
some headers from a message I received a few days ago:

The "Received-SPF" header was generated by my server, and tells me
that even though the SMTP client mail-co.affinitygroup.com does not
sound at all like the Good Sam Club, it is in fact authorized to send
mail on the club's behalf.

> Again, thanks for mentioning this!

My pleasure!

Rod