[vox-tech] dhcp vs static hosts file

Jeffrey J. Nonken jjn_lugod at nonken.net
Sun Dec 10 10:49:57 PST 2006

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 05:09:33 -0800, p at dirac.org wrote:
> I'm now on a home network where IP addresses are handed out
> dynamically by the router/bridge/DSL modem combo.  Suppose I have
> two Linux computers, Satan and Lucifer.
>
> Now that I no longer have predictable IP addresses on the home
> network, how do I accomplish something like:
>
> satan$ ssh p at lucifer

Apart from all the other excellent suggestions, I want to add that
some of those MODEM/Router boxes will let you permanently assign a
static IP to a MAC address. Since the address will never be assigned
to anybody else, you don't actually have to configure the client for
DHCP if you prefer not, and you can manually add it to your hosts
files.

My own preference is the separate internal *nix-based DHCP/DNS server
method already mentioned, because that way everybody's box gets
hostname resolution all the time. I didn't know about dnsmasq though.
Makes it sound easy.