[vox-tech] failing hard drive...

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at comcast.net
Fri Dec 8 11:52:19 PST 2006

It looks like I have a failing hard drive.  I've never experienced this
before; I guess I have been lucky.  The hard drive is a 160 GB Maxtor
ATA drive purchased and installed in a custom built desktop pc a few
years ago (2003?).

The first partition is NTFS with winXP installed.  I have several more
partitions for Linux and data (reiserfs and FAT32).  Only the NTFS
partition is experiencing problems at the moment.  Windows no longer
boots.  Using the repair console of the windows installation disk, a
chkdsk /r reports "unrecoverable errors".  Not trusting windows tools, I
ran Maxtor's PowerMax self-booting utility.  An advanced scan reports
"device is failing" with not much more information.  File system checks
of all the other partitions report no errors.

So I must have bad sectors somewhere in the physical region of the first
partition.  Will this problem get worse and propagate to my other
partitions?  I see several non-free programs on the web that advertise
recovery of bad sectors.  Does anyone know about these?  I'm not about
to drop $50 for software that /might/ fix my drive when I can go buy a
replacement drive for $50.  So my last question(s):  any recommendations
for a replacement drive?  Are Maxtor drives considered "low end"?  I'm
stuck with PATA since my motherboard does not have SATA.  I bought it
just before that technology became standard.

Thanks,
Jonathan