[vox-tech] LATEX, ucthesis.cls and changes in font size

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 11:49:54 PST 2006

On Friday 08 December 2006 10:47, Shwaine wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Dec 2006, Dylan Beaudette wrote:
> > Thanks Pete!
> >
> > I will look into this immediately!
> >
> > Also, as a more general question: would you or any others recommend
> > using the slightly dated ucthesis.cls ? Or would the book class, with
> > some tweaking be better?
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Dylan
>
> Dylan, I will mail you privately the ucdthesis tarball that I used for
> my PhD thesis that was submitted in June. It's one of those "holy"
> artifacts handed down from one Computer Science major to another, but I
> suppose we can go outside the department for this once, heh. It was
> updated by a former roommate of mine and several others to be
> consistent with UC Davis requirements. I added one more update to
> properly do the UMI abstract in the "abstract" environment.
> Additionally, the inline abstract needs to be moved inside of the
> frontmatter environment according to my coordinator, so I updated the
> sample document to reflect that. I did not change the font size of my
> verbatim environments, so I can't tell you if that will work or not.
>
> And Pete, they do still check the margins with rulers, along with
> making sure the paper had the appropriate watermark and that all the
> pages were numbered appropriately. As if my filing wasn't hectic and
> stressful enough, I had to sit there for 10 minutes while she checked
> all the minutia. At least I walked out with the little pieces of paper,
> although I'm still waiting for the actual diploma to be mailed to me.
>
> Melissa Danforth

Melissa,

Wow! This is will be a great time save for both me and my wife (writing MS
thesis at the same time). In addition this fills a nice gap in my latex
installs -- texlive at work (debian unstable) has a newer ucthesis.cls than
my texlive install at home (mac os ) -- causing strange errors.

I will double check with the authorities and post back of this document class
is ok as far as my dept. is concerned- it should be...

just for the record, I unarchived what you sent, adjusted my thesis, and it
compiles cleanly into a shiny PDF -- thanks!

Cheers,

dylan

--
Dylan Beaudette