[vox-tech] Apt Problem

Bob Scofield scofield at omsoft.com
Wed Dec 6 07:09:33 PST 2006

I've got a problem with apt dist-upgrade.

It started when I accidentally installed apache.  I then removed apache, which
was a mistake.  I've since re-installed and re-removed apache but can't fix
the problem.  Here's the problem.

When I do "apt dist-upgrade" I get this error message:

"dpkg: apache2-common: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you
request:
 apache2-mpm-prefork depends on apache2-common (= 2.0.55-4.1).
(Reading database ... 117542 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing apache2-common ...
Stopping apache 2.0 web server...Syntax error on line 1
of /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/php4.load:
Cannot load /usr/lib/apache2/modules/libphp4.so into
server: /usr/lib/apache2/modules/libphp4.so: cannot open shared object file:
No such file or directory
 failed!
invoke-rc.d: initscript apache2, action "stop" failed.
dpkg: error processing apache2-common (--remove):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
 apache2-common
A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:"

Here's why this is a serious problem.  If I have other non-apache packages to
upgrade, they will not upgrade after apt quits because of the apache problem.
So the apache problem is bigger than it looks.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Bob