[vox-tech] dpkg & checkinstall dependency fight

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Aug 21 14:18:58 PDT 2006

So I'm doing a bunch of custom work with migrating Zope sites.
No biggy but I'm playing with a lot of versions at once, from source of
course, since I don't know how you would get a package manager to play
nice here.

I ran into a little snag though.
I built several *.deb using checkinstall and giving them each different
program names so they don't override each other.
However after the 1st one which seemed to go just fine, I'm getting an
error where dkpg fails because my install is trying to overwrite
/usr/bin/pyhton2.3
How do I make checkinstall not include python in it and rather rely on
the system to provide it? It's inherently a little odd since Zope does
rely on python very heavily for the installation.
I imagine if I just do make install instead that it won't be an issue,
but I'm not sure I know how to remove an install done in this manner
when I want to clean up later.

Alex