[vox-tech] Re: strange postfix error message

Micah J. Cowan micah at cowan.name
Sat Apr 22 22:46:27 PDT 2006

Sorry, I could've been clearer. A "relay" can also just mean the mail
program that is trying to send mail to your server. It wasn't
necessarily trying to use /your/ server to relay.

Basically, what I'm saying is that the other mail program was not
speaking correctly to your mail server. This almost certainly means that
it was a non-mainstream, "custom" program, which very frequently means a
spambot. The intended "From" line looked like it was probably a credict
card offer from Chase. I've recently been getting "phone spam" from
these guys.

Unless you already own a chase credit card, I'd say a from address of
"offers at chase.com" (or whatever it was) sounds very much like SPAM.
Coupled with the fact that they were using a broken mailer, and it's
pretty much a foregone conclusion.

It's impossible to say whether they were trying to use your machine as a
relay, or were trying to send mail to you directly. No matter what
machine it was talking to, it would have failed, since it wasn't
"speaking" correctly.

--
Micah J. Cowan
http://micah.cowan.name/