[vox-tech] unzip producing output that is garbage

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Apr 10 17:42:56 PDT 2006

Dylan Beaudette wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> downloaded some data from the seamless.usgs.gov website, only to find that the
> ZIP archives that it delivered expanded to garbage!
>
> running `file` on all of the contents returned "data", when other types should
> have been recognized. Also, a tiff file that was included in the archive is
> not being recognized as a tiff in any program. Text files have extra garbage
> near the top of the files.
>
> Any thoughts on what could be causing this?
>
> I have tried `unzip -b`  as well, trying to force the un-archiving of the tiff
> file as binary, but without luck.
>
> Any thoughts/ ideas?
>
> Thanks!

Are you sure the files you downloaded are good to begin with. Somehow I
doubt they posted md5 or other hash methods for checking.
What are the links, I'll try some on various other OSs with multitudes
of unzips software and see if I can get it to work then give you and md5
to check for a working version.

Alex