[vox-tech] mail server config question

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Sat Apr 8 07:53:03 PDT 2006

Cylar Z wrote:
> I'm wondering - is there some sort of "yahoo-like" web
> interface I could install on my system? I'm not
> talking about a pop/smtp client like Outlook or
> Squirrelmail (which I am guessing is Outlook's Linux
> counterpart). If possible, I'd prefer to avoid setting
> up the POP3/SMTP functionality this would require,
> mostly because I've looked at the documentation for
> Postfix and can't see a way to do that without leaving
> an "open relay" that spammers could exploit.

There really isn't a security issue.  As long as your mail server box is
behind a firewall, there's no open relay worries.  I do this very thing,
using squirrelmail, exim, and courier-imap.  Yes, my server is listening
on the SMTP and IMAP ports, but I don't have those ports open to the
outside world.  My firewall blocks them, but leaves open port 80 (and
more importantly - 443, https).  I can then access my mail system via
squirrelmail over https.  Squirrelmail, which runs in apache on the
server, can then talk to the SMTP and IMAP daemons, but nobody else from
the outside world can.

HTH,

DR