[vox-tech] mail server config question

Cylar Z cylarz at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 7 22:12:24 PDT 2006

Hey Linux gurus...

I'm operating a system that runs Fedora Core 5. It
uses Postfix as an MTA.

I'm able to send mail to, and receive mail from, other
email addresses outside the system - configuring the
MTA was a snap. (I didn't even have to open a port for
it in my firewall.) Currently however, I am only able
to send or receive mail by using the "mail" command at
the prompt.

I'm wondering - is there some sort of "yahoo-like" web
interface I could install on my system? I'm not
talking about a pop/smtp client like Outlook or
Squirrelmail (which I am guessing is Outlook's Linux
counterpart). If possible, I'd prefer to avoid setting
up the POP3/SMTP functionality this would require,
mostly because I've looked at the documentation for
Postfix and can't see a way to do that without leaving
an "open relay" that spammers could exploit.

So this is what I'm looking for: I want to be able to
go to my server's webpage, log in securely, and
view/send mail via a web interface. Ideally this could
be reached from a public computer running Internet
Explorer only, without special software or
configuration. Basically, like I do right now with
Yahoo mail. Any ideas on how to get started? Do I need
SSL, for instance?

I realize I'm probably talking about something called
an MUA (the other half of the email delivery equation)
but I am in need of your suggestions and guidance.

Thanks, Matt