[vox-tech] Must a 300 microsecond delay keep the CPU busy?

John Wojnaroski castle at mminternet.com
Tue Apr 4 12:46:16 PDT 2006

Not knowing the details of your board, it is a little tough to propose a
better solution, but here goes.

Since your using the parallel port, you should consider an interrupt
based driver, have the board provide the interrupt signal when the A/D
conversion is completed. Most A/D chips provide a sense line that
indicates when the converion is completed and the data can be read. that
way you don't have to "wait" for the board.
Connect the sense line to the interrupt pin on the parallel port.

Then create a tasklet that is called by the driver to move the data from
kernel space to user space.

This is a bit more complex than a simple polling scheme, but far more
elegant and reliable and totally independent of CPU speed or processor
performance.  Odds are you won't even notice the short time the CPU is
servicing the interrupt.

Regards
John W