[vox-tech] Mouse trouble

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Sep 25 23:17:24 PDT 2005

Quoting Bill Kendrick (nbs at sonic.net):

> My initial steps were:
>
> 1. Shut down
> 2. Unplug old PS/2 wheely mouse
> 3. Plug in new PS/2 wheely optical mouse
> 4. Boot up
> 5. Start swearing because the mouse pointer wasn't moving

Bill --

Even if it's some new, wacky variant on PS/2, different from regular
PS/2 to the same extent IMPS/2 is or more, that should affect just how
the buttons and/or wheels work.  Given that the _pointer_ isn't moving,
I'd say the mouse is broken -- or somehow is of some variety that's not
PS/2 of any stripe.

I suppose if you want to make absolutely sure, try plugging it into a
_different_ computer where the PS/2 port has been confirmed to work with
other, known-functional PS/2 mice, and see if you can move the pointer,
there.