[vox-tech] e2fsprogs

Chris Jenks jenks at resonance.org
Sat Sep 24 16:09:21 PDT 2005

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005, Richard Harke wrote:

> I thought it might be a good idea to update firefox. So I did:
> apt-get update
> apt-get -s install mozilla-firefox
>
> I get a rather long list of packages to be updated, installed
> and even removed. But also I get the message;
> E: This installation run will require temporarily removing the
> essential package e2fsprogs due to a Conflicts/Pre-Depends loop. This is often
> bad, but if you really want to do it, activate the APT::Force-LoopBreak
> option.
> E: Internal Error, Could not early remove e2fsprogs
>
> I have done a lot of googling and all the sites I have found agree
> that this can cause "bad things to happen" But nothing more specific
> or any other way to proceed. My only ext2 file system is /boot so maybe
> my odds are better?? But one site indicated that this message is the
> result of a bug in the dependencies. If that was so, maybe I could just wait
> until it is fixed at Debian.
>
> Does anybody understand this and can guide me?
>
> Richard Harke

   I got the same message just a few days ago when I tried to update a
system running Testing. I hadn't updated it since February, and it wanted
hundreds of packages, but I got this error whether I used apt-get upgrade,
apt-get dist-upgrade, aptitude upgrade or aptitude dist-upgrade. I decided
to wait and hope the error goes away.
   The system probably has firefox installed.

   Chris