[vox-tech] Debian Sid amd64 on a Compaq v2310us (status report)

Troy Arnold troy-vox at zenux.net
Wed Sep 21 14:17:11 PDT 2005

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 08:50:07PM -0500, Ken Bloom wrote:
> I have previously posted to vox-tech at lists.lugod.org about attempts to
> install Linux on my Turion64 based Compaq Presario v2310us laptop. I'm
> posting this as a howto to both vox-tech, and also debian-amd64, so that
> there should be an internet record of how to get a successful system
> working.

Except for the choice in video, this looks very similar to my own
notebook, a Compaq 3460us.  You might look through the archives of the
linuxr3000 mailing list for any other outstanding issues that you have.

> For some reason, I can't use the scroll stuff, and can't get the
> typing-disables-trackpad behavior. I could probably reconfigure that,
> but I would have to use
> 	Option "shmconfig" "on"
> in the Section "InputDevice" corresponding to the synaptics touchpad.
> When I turned that on, things started to crash, so I turned it off. I
> might have even had that working on Debian and lost it in a
> dist-upgrade. I'm not sure.
>
> If you have a solution, let me know.

The input device section of my xorg.conf has a bunch of options
which might help you to get the behaviour you want.
http://zenux.net/linux/3460us/xorg.conf
(Linked from http://zenux.net/linux/3460us/)

I'm using the xfree86-driver-synaptics available in Sid.  Scrolling
works fine, as does palm detection. I don't know how to turn the
touchpad off when typing; that would be handy.  If you install this
driver, 'man 5 synaptics' has tons of information.

> *** Power Management ***
> A tip (http://www.lugod.org/mailinglists/archives/vox/2005-08/msg00056.html)
> on vox-tech told me to add the 'acpi_sleep=s3_bios' kernel parameter

I'll have to try that.  I'm using software suspend2, and it breaks every
other kernel or so.

-troy