[vox-tech] Best Linux Audio Cards (PCIe? USB?)

ME dugan at passwall.com
Thu Sep 15 19:31:33 PDT 2005

No responses? Bummer. I'll be impolite and impatient, and reply to my own
message...  (Since archived messages help others...)

Maybe listing specific items will generate discussion...

There was discussion in Feb 2005, in the creative forums, of a new card
that was supposed to be for "PCIe x1" that was to be called Zenith
http://tinyurl.com/d8k5o as a tiny URL for
http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=soundblaster&message.id=10044&query.id=172989

Come Sept, 2005, this product is not listed at
http://www.creative.com/products/welcome.asp?category=1&

There was talk of a Audigy 3 that was supposed to be PCIe x1, but an
article from late 2004 stated that there were no plans for an Audigy 3
with PCIe support. http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19702

As for USB...

I see the Audigy 2 NX (Priced ~ $70 ands up)
http://tinyurl.com/46aot tiny URL for:
http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=204&product=9103
Shown as supported:
http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdevcat.php?id=7
http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdev.php?id=2375

and the Audigy 2 ZS (Priced ~ $220 and up)
http://tinyurl.com/9m63s tiny URL for:
http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=204&product=11226
Stated as working:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=361056

(USB) EDIROL UA-1X (Price ~ $70)
http://music.columbia.edu/pipermail/linux-audio-user/2003-December/008279.html
http://www.thomann.de/artikel-165708.html?sn=7602194ba738aebac6eab165bbcb000f

According to kernel docs, these require firmware from manufacturer to work:
TASCAM US-122 USB Audio/Midi Interface w/Phantom (Priced ~ $170 and up)

Tascam US224 Dig Audio Workstation USB Interface (Priced ~ $180 and up)

Tascam US428 Dig Audio Workstation USB Interface (Priced ~ $300 and up)

Comments? Suggestions?

TIA
-ME