[vox-tech] CUPS on FreeBSD

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Wed Oct 12 08:57:23 PDT 2005

Jeffrey J. Nonken wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 10:01:31 -0700, Jeff Newmiller wrote:

[...]

>>In my case, verifying that the UID that the filters run under
>>(listed in cupsd.conf) have appropriate permissions was the most
>>challenging thing to get working right.  The CUPS daemon runs as
>>root, but runs actual print jobs as a lower-privilege user.
>
> I've spent two days on this and I've gotten almost nowhere. If the
> next part is the _challenging_ bit, maybe I should throw in the towel
> now.

Sorry, I couldn't help but laugh at that. :-/  Anyway, my one datapoint
isn't enough to extrapolate to the nature of your problem.

> However, I have set filters permissions according to instructions,
> FWIW. Whether that's an issue remains to be seen.

Ah, but have you verified that the appropriate users have permissions they
need?  I don't know how FreeBSD handles USB, but the UID that CUPS runs
under has to be able to access the device, as well as the printer
directories in  /var. (Kubuntu moved the default conf file from the
CUPS-recommended directory structure into the /etc to conform with Debian
standards, but that mostly changed how I dealt with multiple types of
printers.)

Anyway, you didn't make your conf file available, so I haven't been able to
offer any help with that.

One other thing... if you are trying to use a printer you added before you
stabilized your cupsd.conf file, you might want to try deleting that one and
adding it again.

                                       Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing