[vox-tech] Wireless-to-ethernet bridges

Henry House hajhouse at houseag.com
Fri Oct 7 10:01:51 PDT 2005

I finally have no choice but to get a wireless interface for my home
workstation. Given the difficulty with changing chipsets and poor driver
support, I am thinking of a ethernet-to-wireless bridge, which is alleged to
bridge a one-device ethernet network to an existing wireless network with an
existing access point, all without any drivers on the PC. Here are two
products, both by Linksys, that claim to do just that:

http://www.buy.com/prod/Wireless_G_Game_Adapter/q/loc/15625/10351886.html

http://www.buy.com/prod/Wireless_G_Ethernet_Bridge/q/loc/15625/10346525.html

The second is about twice the price of the first.

My questions are:

- Am I on the right track going with an ethernet bridge?

- What reasons are there to prefer the more-expensive device? I loathe
  wireless networking and so would prefer to spend as little as possible. I
  am not really interested in special features.

--
Henry House
+1 530 753 3361 ext. 13