[vox-tech] KDE on FreeBSD Hanging on login

Michael Benedetti michael at cfimichael.com
Wed Nov 30 20:41:36 PST 2005

On Nov 30, 2005, at 7:19 PM, Jeffrey J. Nonken wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 00:01:36 -0800, Bill Kendrick wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 08:26:06PM -0800, Michael Benedetti wrote:
>>
>>> I am a newbie to FreeBSD.
>
> Me too, but I've done some of this lately, so it's fresh on my mind.
> Not to mention fresh in my bookmarks. :)
>>>
>>> I managed to get the install to work after
>>> three tries, and even configured it to boot directly to the KDE
>>> boot manager, where I can login.  I have a few minor issues,
>>> beginning with the inability to login using the KDE boot manager.
>>>  This behavior started as soon as I tried to use the KDE boot
>>> manager to start Gnome. (I wanted to automount the cd drives, and
>>> read that Gnome does this by default, while I was not able to
>>> accomplish this in KDE.  I am getting an error whenever I try to
>>> mount the CD in KDE.)
>>>

>>> The Console Login seems to be inoperative.
>>>
>> As in text-mode?  (Under Linux, typically accessed via
>> Ctrl+Alt+F1..F6, etc.)

Bill and Jeffrey,

Ctrl+Alt+F3 worked!  It seems the trouble was my (only) user was hosed
up.  After removing and adding the user, everything seems ok.  Thank
you both for your help!  I think with the help of nice lugod folks like
you I'll be able to avoid going back to XP, and that is my goal.

Thanks again for your help!

Michael