[vox-tech] KDE on FreeBSD Hanging on login

Michael Benedetti michael at cfimichael.com
Tue Nov 29 20:26:06 PST 2005

Hello all,

This is my first post on this forum.  I did not find this issue in the
archives, if it is a duplicate, I apologize.  Along the apology lines,
I hope the lines are wrapping ok for you.

I am a newbie to FreeBSD.  I managed to get the install to work after
three tries, and even configured it to boot directly to the KDE boot
manager, where I can login.  I have a few minor issues, beginning with
the inability to login using the KDE boot manager.  This behavior
started as soon as I tried to use the KDE boot manager to start Gnome.
(I wanted to automount the cd drives, and read that Gnome does this by
default, while I was not able to accomplish this in KDE.  I am getting
an error whenever I try to mount the CD in KDE.)

When I try to login using the graphical login screen, it acts like it
will work, and then immediately returns to the graphical login screen.
I have tried using the Menu button to choose the Session Type as KDE,
but nothing seems to work.  The Console Login seems to be inoperative.
I suppose I should be able to boot directly to a command prompt, but I
don't know how to make that change at boot time.  Even if I manage to
boot into console mode, I don't know where my configuration has been
corrupted.

I also have a couple of minor issues with configuring printer, portable
USB HD, and sound that I am hoping to work through.

If you have any suggestions, I am happy to try them.  I am considering
the sledge-hammer approach of reinstallation, but I would prefer to
learn a little more about the OS instead.

Thank you for your help.

Michael