[vox-tech] display mess

Josh Parsons jbparsons at ucdavis.edu
Mon Nov 7 16:05:11 PST 2005

Cylar Z wrote:

> ...Here's the problem. After doing this, and then
> rebooting the server, the display is a "mess."...

As Ken said, if you post some details about what daemons you are now
activating, that would be helpful.  His email describes how can find
that information out.

Aside from that, you might try booting without fedora's graphical boot
sequence.  To do that, get into the boot loader menu (by pressing any
key when the boot loader says to press any key for the menu). In the
menu press 'a' to modify kernel arguments, and delete the words "rhgb"
and "quiet" from the kernel command line.  Then press enter to boot.

If that works OK for you, then probably what is happenning is that your
system is not dying at the login prompt, but at the graphical boot
sequence - "rhgb" = "Red Hat Graphical Boot" (this is a common problem
with fedora 4 + exotic display hardware).

You should also know about how to get into single user mode so that you
can use your machine from the local console.  To do that, enter the boot
menu as before, press 'a', and add the word "single" to the
command-line.  Your machine will then boot up into an extremely minimal
mode (no graphical whatsits or other things that might crash) and drop
you into a shell prompt as the superuser.  You can use that to edit
files, run setup utilities, fix problems etc. when your machine can't
otherwise boot.

 From single user mode, you can also enter "exec init 3" to boot up to a
text-mode login prompt or "exec init 5" to boot up to a graphical login
prompt.  These numbers refer to the "runlevel" at which the OS is operating.

--
Josh Parsons
Philosophy Department