[vox-tech] Is Google wrong about the license on ethereal?

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Wed May 25 14:35:59 PDT 2005

Dear all,

According to:

   http://directory.fsf.org/All_Packages_in_Directory/ethereal.html

ethereal is licensed under the GNU GPL.  But if you do a Google search on
"ethereal license", Google returns:

   Ethereal
   License: Freeware
   According to http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4449.html

And in fact, the majorgeeks.com website does indeed claim that ethereal is
"freeware."

When push comes to shove, I don't really know what "freeware" means, but it
sounds like it means "software provided without charge, without warrantee,
and without obligations placed on the recipient of the software".  But this
is just my guess.  If so, the GNU GPL is incompatible with the term
"freeware" for a number of reasons.

Thoughts?

Pete

--
Every theory is killed sooner or later, but if the theory has good in it,
that good is embodied and continued in the next theory. -- Albert Einstein