[vox-tech] ..'xxx is not an ELF file' errors

Dylan Beaudette dylan at iici.no-ip.org
Tue May 24 21:46:56 PDT 2005

On May 24, 2005, at 9:09 AM, Henry House wrote:

> På 2005-05-24, skrev Micah J. Cowan:
> [...]
>> How are you generating the PDF? There are a number of known problems
>> with MetaFonts that become converted to high-resolution bitmapped
>> Type 3 fonts. I usually use pdftex/pdflatex, which does a tremendous
>> job. If you are generating DVIs first and then converting to PDF,
>> there
>> may be a bit more work. In any case, you must have the Type 1
>> versions of
>> the standard MetaFont fonts. Google for more info.
>>
>> Alternatively, you could \usepackage{times} or \usepackage{psfonts},
>> which uses the standard PostScript fonts instead of Computer Modern et
>> al.
>
> You can also use 'pslatex' in place of 'latex' to typeset your
> documents,
> which has the same effect as the times package.

Thanks for the ideas!

Looks like I had some file system problems... was using ReiserFS on PPC
which apparently is not well tested... furthermore it looks like there
is a lot of talk about ReiserFS having problems.... and most of my data
in the lab is stored on that file system.

Time to make some adjustments!

--
Dylan Beaudette
University of California at Davis