[vox-tech] ..'xxx is not an ELF file' errors

Micah J. Cowan micah at cowan.name
Tue May 24 08:52:16 PDT 2005

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 01:04:31AM -0700, Dylan Beaudette wrote:
> after manually re-installing about 30 packages until no errors were
> returned from apt the system *appears* to be fine... however, just for
> fun i tried to make a PDF from a latex file... it works without errors,
> but there is something terribly wrong with the fonts ... now i am
> beginning to think that a re-install of the entire system might be the
> only way to get a functioning computer back...

How are you generating the PDF? There are a number of known problems
with MetaFonts that become converted to high-resolution bitmapped
Type 3 fonts. I usually use pdftex/pdflatex, which does a tremendous
job. If you are generating DVIs first and then converting to PDF, there
may be a bit more work. In any case, you must have the Type 1 versions of
the standard MetaFont fonts. Google for more info.

Alternatively, you could \usepackage{times} or \usepackage{psfonts},
which uses the standard PostScript fonts instead of Computer Modern et
al.

--
Micah J. Cowan
micah at cowan.name