[vox-tech] printer losing some jobs

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Thu May 19 16:46:01 PDT 2005

I have an HP LaserJet 6MP.

enscript prints correctly.
gv prints correctly.
openoffice prints correctly.
lpr file.ps prints correclty.

The problem is with lpr and text files.  For some reason, text files don't
print.  When I "lpr file.txt", the printer light blinks a bit and then nothing.
Sometimes, when I type "lpr file.txt" many times in rapid succession, it'll
print once.

When I do this:

   print hello.txt

Nothing prints.  However, when I follow that with:

   print blah.pdf

Then suddenly, both hello.txt and blah.pdf both print.

Here's the printcap file:

   lp|printer|Generic dot-matrix printer entry:\
           :lp=/dev/lp0:\
           :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
           :if=/var/spool/lpd/myfilter:\
           :af=/var/log/lp-acct:\
           :lf=/var/log/lp-errs:\
           :pl#66:\
           :pw#80:\
           :pc#150:\
           :mx#0:\
           :sf:\
           :sh:

And here's myfilter:

   #!/usr/bin/perl

   while(<STDIN>){ chomp $_; print "$_\r\n"; };
   #	open(FP, ">>/tmp/printed");
   #	print FP "$_\r\n";

Any ideas what could be going on?  Looks like something to do with ejecting the
job and/or page, but if so, what's the fix?

Thanks!
Pete

--
Every theory is killed sooner or later, but if the theory has good in it,
that good is embodied and continued in the next theory. -- Albert Einstein