[vox-tech] Raid 1 - Fresh Install - Drives seem slow

Jay Strauss me at heyjay.com
Thu May 19 08:07:14 PDT 2005

> Right, 2.4 vs 2.6 kernels handle I/O differently, I don't consider dd
> a very good measurement of performance since read/writes to raw
> disk devices (without caches, buffering, ordering, or filesystem) are
> pretty rare.

Oh, so it very well may be an apples to oranges comparison?

>>So Knoppix is configuring something different, I'm searching for the
>>difference
>

> I'd point at both the readahead and the large difference in kernel.

Right now I'm comparing the contents of /proc/ide/hda from both installs
  to see if something sticks out.  I'll take your word on the readahead
and kernel version.  If I dont find anything in the contents of
/proc/ide/hda, I'll drop the issue

Thanks for the help
Jay