[vox-tech] emacs formatting

Micah J. Cowan micah at cowan.name
Fri May 13 11:45:19 PDT 2005

On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 11:27:21AM -0700, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
> > Charles McLaughlin wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am hoping someone can point me in the write direction.  I want to
> > change how emacs formats code.  I'm very picky about spacing and
> > brackets.  If I have to make the change for every mode that is fine, but
> > I'd prefer to make the change once and have it apply to all types of
> > code I use.  The modes I'm mainly concerned about now are C/C++, PHP and
> > Perl.
>
> I'm an amateur when it comes to emacs hacks, but I suspect you'll need
> to add appropriate lines for each mode to your ~/.emacs file.  Probably
> cut and paste will do much of it, though.

Actually, it's much, much more elegant than that.

Hit M-x customize (press ENTER). Go to the Programming group, then to
Languages, and then C. You should find everything you need in there. You
can pretty much customize everything. When you hit the "Save for Future
Sessions" button, it will automatically adjust your .emacs file
appropriately and safely.

-Micah