[vox-tech] [OT] Windows Question for Relative

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Wed May 11 17:57:40 PDT 2005

on Wed, May 11, 2005 at 01:03:02PM -0700, Troy Arnold (troy-vox at zenux.net) wrote:
> On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 12:47:35PM -0700, Bob Scofield wrote:
> >
> > Do people on this list generally feel that you should not install
> > GRUB on the Windows MBR?

Hell, I'd install it on legacy MS Windows  ;-)

Generally:  I make GRUB my bootloader and chainload for other OSs if
absolutely necessary.

> My experience is that Linux installs (using grub or lilo) usually do a
> fine job of detecting other bootable OS's and adding boot menu entries
> for them.  Users just need to verify that these entries have indeed
> been added and if not add them (which is pretty easy).
>
> BTW, even completely blowing away the MBR won't actually damage OS
> installs... You just won't be able to boot them until the boot loader
> knows about them.

    # aptitude install ms-sys

    Package: ms-sys
    Section: admin
    Installed-Size: 72
    Maintainer: Gürkan Sengün <gurkan at linuks.mine.nu>
    Architecture: i386
    Version: 1.1.3-1
    Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4)
    Filename: pool/main/m/ms-sys/ms-sys_1.1.3-1_i386.deb
    Size: 20534
    MD5sum: 8ab3cba14281bc807d16e773ff913e69
     The program does the same as Microsoft's "fdisk /mbr" to a hard disk or
     "sys d:" to a floppy or FAT32 partition, except that it does not copy
     any system files (only the boot record is written).
     .
     Homepage: http://ms-sys.sourceforge.net/

/me *hugs* Debian.

Peace.

  TWikIWeThey: An experiment in collective intelligence.  Stupidity.  Whatever.
    Technical docs, discussion, reviews, opinion.
      http://twiki.iwethey.org/