[vox-tech] [OT] Windows Question for Relative

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Wed May 11 17:05:30 PDT 2005

on Wed, May 11, 2005 at 08:51:08AM -0700, Bob Scofield (scofield at omsoft.com) wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 May 2005 22:06, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> Here's one final question.  As part of my missionary work I'm taking
> my SuSE CD's.  But it just dawned on me that while I have set up dual
> boot systems several times in the past, it has always been with
> Windows 98.  Are there any special difficulties in setting up a dual
> boot with XP?

If anything, it's a tad easier.  Win9x requires being installed on the
first partition of your primary master IDE drive.  NT/2K/XP/2K+3 don't
have this restriction.  Technically it's possible to handle 9X by using
your bootloader to fake out the OS into thinking it's where it wants to
be.

Your standard GRUB / LILO install will have a sample configuration for
booting NT-based systems (these use a chainloader option).   Most modern
system installers will detect and configure dual-boot automatically.

The general guideline is to have your MSFT OS on the system first, then
add GNU/Linux.  Generally, install 9x, then NT, then GNU/Linux.

Peace.

    Douglas sneezed four times.  Everyone blessed him.
    - David Schickler, "The Smoker"