[vox-tech] [OT] Windows Question for Relative

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed May 11 12:10:51 PDT 2005

Rod Roark wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 May 2005 08:58 am, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
>
>>Should you need to reduce
>>the winXP partition non-destructively (usually you do), you'll need
>>partitioning software that handles NTFS.
>

> I have used SystemRescueCD many times for this.
>
> http://www.sysresccd.org/
>
> -- Rod

I usually use Partition Magic, but its not free.
The one thing to remember is to make a partition that is bootable for
the / of  linux to sit in, but you can put everything else on other
partitions that aren't bootable.

Also when loading grub or lilo make sure not to overwrite the MBR.
Instead skip that and install the booter into the bootable Linux partition.

See this page for details
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/WindowsDualBootHowTo
I recently followed this and it worked perfectly for me.

There's also a follup page somewhere on the ubuntu wiki for how to tweak
the WinXP boot menu to see a linux install.

Alex